At Art Dubai’s 15th edition fair, I took part in the Fernando Garcia-Dory x INLAND multi-site installation titled Sand Flow, which occupied a variety of locations across Dubai. The exhibition combined visions of Dubai’s past, present and future and examined the ways in which the multiplicity of cultures and communities inhabit the city and their contributions to it.
Based on Fernando’s site-specific installation and performative work, I created a drink designed to represent the many paradoxes of this place: trade, history, the grit, and the bittersweet.
1. For the essence: pour boiling water on top the three dried herbs, place outdoors under the moon and let them continue to cook in the heat of Dubai overnight.
2. Set ablaze coal, frankincense and orange rind,
3. Dip a whetted glass into a pile of sea salt to create a salt rim,
4. Place the glass over the scented smoke and watch as it envelopes the glass. Once it is opaque and fully consumed, take it out,
5. Pour orange juice into the cup, top it with your choice of essence,
Copyright © 2021 Nahla Tabbaa - All Rights Reserved.